Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) represents a condition sine qua non for a sustainable development of Romania, taking into consideration the fact that the domestic capital is not enough to assure a positive and significant growth. The present study uses the multiple linear regression to determine the main factors which influence FDI level in Romania. The international reserve and the capital market index BET have a direct and positive impact on the foreign investment flow, while the short, medium and long private and public external debt proved to influence direct, but in a negative way, the FDI.
KeywordsCapital market index BET Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) International reserve Linear multiple regression medium and long term public and private external debt Short
- Abbas, Q., Akbar, S., Nasir, A. S., Ullah, A. H. & Naseem, M. A. , 2011. Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Gross Domestic Product. Global Journal of Management and Business Research. 11(8). p. 1-7. Available from: http://globaljournals.org/GJMBR_Volume11/5-Impact-of-Foreign-Direct-Investment-on-Gross-Domestic-Product.pdf, accessed on: 28.11.2013.
- Asiedu, E., 2002. Foreign Direct Investment in Africa: The role of natural resources, market size, Government policy, institutions and political instability. Available from: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=717361, accessed on: 28.11.2013.
- Bakos, V., Sisak, K.-M., Vlad, A. & Voica, O., 2010. Foreign Direct Investments’ evolution and drivers in Romania and European Union. Available from: http://mastermrufeaa.ucoz.com/s2/Sisak_Mira.pdf, accessed on: 28.11.2013.
- Balasubramanyam, V. N., Salisu, M. & Sapsford, D., 1996. Foreign direct investment and growth in EP and IS countries. Economic Journal. 106(1). p. 92-105. Available from: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2234933?uid=3738920&uid=2476438553&uid=2&uid=3&uid=60&sid=21102983369381, accessed on: 28.11.2013.
- Borensztein, E., De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J.-W., 1998. How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth. Journal of International Economics. 45(1). p. 115-135. Available from: http://www.olemiss.edu/courses/inst310/BorenszteinDeGLee98.pdf, accessed on: 30.11.2013.
- Bucharest Stock Exchange, 2013. Capital indices. Available from: http://www.bvb.ro/TradingAnd Statistics/GeneralStatistics.aspx? tab=2&m=0, accessed on 03.12.2013.
- Bushra, Y., Hussain, A. & Chaudhary, M., 2003. Analysis of factors affecting foreign direct investment in developing countries. Pakistan Economic and Social Review. 41(3). p. 59-75. Available from: http://pu.edu.pk/images/journal/pesr/PDF-FILES/5%20YASMIN%20Analysis%20of%20Factors%20Affecting%20FDI%20in%20Developing-V41-2003.pdf, accessed on 30.11.2013.
- Chowdhury, A. & Mavrotas. G., 2005. FDI and Growth: A Causal Relationship. Available from: http://www.wider.unu.edu/stc/repec/pdfs/rp2005/rp2005-25.pdf, accessed on: 30.11.2013.
- Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs, European Commission, 2013. Economic European forecast: Autumn 2013. Available from: http://media.hotnews.ro/media_server1/document-2013-11-5-15962611-0-prognoza-toamana.pdf.
- Fischer, S. & Modigliani, F. (n.d.) Towards an understanding of the real effects and costs of the inflation. Available from: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/content/9780262561631_sch_0001.pdf, accessed on: 30.11.2013.
- Kiat, J., 2008. The effect of exchange rate and inflation on foreign direct investment and its relationship with economic growth in South Africa. Available from: http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/submitted/etd-03172010-140315/unrestricted/dissertation.pdf, accessed on: 03.12.2013.
- Ludoșean, B. M., 2012. VAR analysis of the relation between FDIs and the Romanian economic growth. Theoretical and applied economy. 10(575). p. 102-117. Available from: http://store.ectap.ro/articole/789_ro.pdf, accessed on: 03.12.2013.
- Hogaș, E., 2013. How has the minimum wage evolved in Romania of the 14 years. Available from: http://legestart.ro/cum-a-evoluat-salariul-de-baza-minim-brut-in-romania-ultimilor-14-ani/, accessed on: 03.12.2013.
- National Bank of Romania & National Institute of Statistics, 2012. Foreign Direct Investments in Romania in 2012. Available from: http://www.bnr.ro/files/d/Statistica/seturi%20de%20date/ISD/ISD_2012.pdf, accessed on: 30.11.2013.
- National Institute of Statistics, 2013. Gross Domestic Product. Available from: http://www.insse.ro/cms/ro/content/pib-trimestrial, accessed on: 30.11.2013.
- Niels, H. & Robert, L., 2003. Foreign direct investment, financial development and economic growth. Available from: http://som.eldoc.ub.rug.nl/FILES/reports/themeE/2000/00E27/00e27.pdf, accessed on: 05.12.2013.
- Nnadozie, E., 2000. What determines US direct investment in African countries. Available from: http://www.csae.ox.ac.uk/conferences/2000-OiA/pdfpapers/nnadozie.PDF, accessed on: 28.11.2013.
- Omankhanlen, A. E., 2011. The effect of exchange rate and inflation on foreign direct investment and its relationship with economic growth in Nigeria. Available from: http://www.ann.ugal.ro/eco/Doc20011_1/Alex_Ehimare_OMANKHANLEN.pdf, accessed on: 28.11.2013.
- Sayek, S., 1999. FDI and inflation: Theory and evidence. Available from: http://ejbe.org/EJBE2010Vol03 No06p27AZAM.pdf, accessed on: 30.11.2013.
- Saleem, F., Zahid, A., Shaoib, B., Mahmood, M. & Nayab, S., 2013. Impact of inflation and economic growth on foreign direct investment: Evidence from Pakistan. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business. 4(9). p. 236-244. Available from: http://journal-archieves27.webs.com/236-244.pdf, accessed on: 03.12.2013.
- Shahzad, A. & Al-Swidi, A. K., 2013. Effect of macroeconomic variables on the FDI inflows: The moderating role of political stability: Evidence from Pakistan. Available from: http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ass/article/download/28617/17124, accessed on: 06.12.2013.
- Shamsuddin, A. F. M., 1994. Economic Determinants of foreign Direct Investment in Less Developed Countries. The Pakistan development Review. 33(1). p. 41-51. Available from: http://www.pide.org.pk/pdr/index.php/pdr/article/viewFile/1269/1242, accessed on: 06.12.2013.
- Pirtea, M. & Pilos, L., 2009. Foreign Direct Investments: The main determinant in the sustainable growth in Romania. Annals of the University Constantin Brâncuşi, Economy Series. 3. p. 265-279. Available from: http://core.kmi.open.ac.uk/download/pdf/6300268.pdf accessed on: 06.12.2013.
- Tapsoba, R., 2012. Does Inflation Targeting Matter for Attracting Foreign Direct Investment into Developing Countries. Available from: http://www.cerdi.org/uploads/ed/2012/2012.03.pdf, accessed on: 06.12.2013.
- Zamfir, C., 2013. European Commission about Romania: The positive evolution determined by the exceptional export level cover the investment drop. The three risks of the Romanian economy. Available from: http://economie.hotnews.ro/stiri-finante-15962589-despre-romania-evolutia-pozitiva-determinata-exportul-stelar-mascheaza-scaderea-investitiilor-cele-3-riscuri-ale-economiei-romanesti.htm accessed on: 06.12.2013
- World Bank, 2013. World development indicators. Available from: http://data.worldbank.org/country/romania, accessed on: 06.12.2013